I visited my first conference this spring. I presented a poster (abstract and video) for an adaptive approach to the calibration of BCI systems. I was very nervous before it started, but it was great – so much inspiration and new ideas. Some thoughts that I bring to the next conference I visit:
- Don’t be afraid to talk to new persons. Everyone is kind, and most are eager to speak with you as well.
- Everyone visiting the conference has different backgrounds and interests. All seminars and events will not be interesting for you – and that is ok.
- When visiting posters, ask for the short version of their work. Some persons tend to talk for quite a while.
- Don’t overdo your preparations for the conference.
- After talking to someone, writing down their name and what you talked about makes it is easier to recall later. It might also be a good idea to have a business card so others can remember you.